This entry level position is the first point of contact for Dental Vision customers and is the first role in a three-level career path. The role provides customer service, primarily by phone, to our customers when they need us.
The incumbent in this role must demonstrate a willingness to provide strong customer service – providing accurate information to customers, expressing appropriate empathy, and resolving customer issues where appropriate. While service is focused on our external customers, this position is responsible for creating detailed/appropriate documentation for our internal cross-functional business partners. All work is carefully performed according to established protocols/procedures. This position requires the use of multiple system applications and administrative processes.
The incumbent is responsible for successfully completing the Contact Center training program and demonstrating basic proficiency in servicing inbound phone calls after training.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Respond to customer inquiries with timely and accurate information.
- Follow all documented processes/workflow to enhance customer service and reduce customer effort/operating efficiency.
- Utilize resources and tools to accurately respond to customer inquiries.
- Ensure privacy of our customers remains the utmost importance.
- Meet the expectations of the quality/productivity standards.
- Demonstrate a passion for the values outlined in the We are Unum value statements.
- Successful completion of Contact Center training program, including demonstrating on phone proficiency and passing required knowledge checks.
- Ability to work a regular assigned shift between the hours of 7am-7pm Central, Monday through Friday and/or 9am-3pm Central, Saturday (no shifts end after 7pm on weekdays or 3pm on weekends).
- Attendance in accordance with Contact Center attendance guidelines.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Prior relevant experience, military service and/or college degree preferred
- Demonstrated customer service experience and/or experience in a customer service-oriented environment.
- Strong customer service orientation with demonstrated commitment to meet/exceed customer needs.
- Strong verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced, structured environment, handling large call volumes.
- Computer proficiency essential.
- Self-directed with the ability to perform both as part of team and individually.
- Ability to adapt and work effectively in a continuously changing environment.
- Consistently demonstrate a high level of professionalism through a strong work ethic that positively influences the work habits of the team.
- Detail oriented with a focus on quality and consistently meeting goals.
- Ability to maintain reliable and predictable attendance.
Headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina, we offer a wide range of financial protection options, helping more than 3.7 million people in over 86,000 companies. In addition to our personal benefits counseling expertise, we’re a pioneer of payroll deduction and innovator of enrollment technology. Our end-to-end capabilities and commitment to going above and beyond enable us to provide unmatched customer service. With more than 10,000 sales representatives and more than 1,000 home office professionals, we’re here to help during life’s most challenging times.
Colonial Life is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person’s race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.