At Ameritas, our mission is Fulfilling Life. We do that in many ways, but especially by helping people invest in themselves by offering trusted financial products and advice. Because we believe everyone should be happy, healthy and financially secure, we work hard to provide trusted financial products and valued guidance, including individual life and disability insurance, employee benefits, retirement planning, investments, and wealth management services.
Ameritas is seeking a Lead Accountant to join the Investment Accounting team. In this role, you will provide your accounting professional expertise and oversight for general financial accounting activities for the organization in compliance with regulatory policies. You will be responsible for coordinating the tools, resources, and completion of responsibilities of their area while providing leadership
What you’ll do:
- Prepare quarterly and annual financial reporting for NAIC filings.
- Reconcile, manage, and maintain GAAP, STAT and Tax basis for partnership assets.
- Be the liaison with Tax and Accounting department on partnership issues; develop journal entries and reconciliations; and produce cash flows for quarterly use.
- Perform technical research pertaining to GAAP, STAT and partnership tax concepts accompanied by a memorandum with detailed findings and recommendations.
- Identify and execute appropriate actions, within tolerable risk, to complete daily work, solve complex problems and provide a broad perspective on existing solutions
- Defines, researches, and implements recommendations to internal/external business challenges to improve processes or services
- Accountable for projects or programs within manageable risk
- Recommend and/or determine current and future state needs of the business team
- Provides support to audits/exams by working directly with the auditors/examiners in providing data and answers to inquiries
- Identify and create controls to maintain the financial integrity of the business area
What you should have:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
- 2-4+ years GAAP, STAT, and/or Tax accounting experience required
- Working knowledge of the financial services industry preferred.
- Strong mathematical aptitude is essential with an emphasis on accuracy.
- Experience with a PC-based insurance company portfolio management/accounting system is desirable.
- Advanced knowledge of spreadsheet programs, word processing, and presentation software skills are essential.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be focused, flexible, and can work in a team environment.