Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world’s leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum’s financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum’s three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum also has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, – and over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
Looking for a company where you can make a difference? As a Service Specialist Associate you will be the first point of contact for our inbound calls and emails from employers and insurance professionals. You will have the rewarding job of creating exceptional client experiences, ensuring information is accurate and operating with empathy and integrity. We are looking for individuals who will thrive in a customer facing, fast paced, high production role.
This role provides a great starting point into an organization and company with multiple career paths and the environment to be your best you here.
What we offer:
• Competitive starting salary
• Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits available on the first day of employment
• Defined Contribution Plan along with 401K matching to help you plan for your retirement
• Paid Time Off, holiday and leave programs
• Flexible Breaks
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Paid Family Leave
• Employee assistance programs
• Business casual dress code
• Volunteer opportunities
• Employee resource groups with a strong focus on diversity and inclusion
Training and development:
• Our interactive, nine-week training program will provide you with in-depth knowledge of our products and a strong base for launching your career with Unum.
• After training is complete, you’ll receive a high level of assistance from dedicated mentors & support staff
• Opportunity for advancement within the role. Mentoring, quality auditing, ongoing training, process improvement and opportunity for leadership roles within the department
• Our department is a great place to start your career at Unum, and our Specialists have gone on to rewarding promotions in many other departments.
Employees are expected to work eight hour shifts between 8AM PST and 5PM PST, Monday – Friday.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Engage in education to continually retain deep/broad knowledge of Simply Unum, Voluntary Benefits and Group Administration to respond to many types of inquiries leveraging a multitude of systems/workflows.
- Support relationships with Plan Administrators, Brokers, Home and Field Office partners in handling service requests while exemplifying a high degree of professionalism.
- Achieve high customer satisfaction of ongoing administration processes.
- Research, evaluate and respond to service issues. Demonstrated understanding of where referral or escalation is appropriate.
- Reflect a sense of customer intimacy – know who the customer is, what products they have with us and what their recent interaction history includes.
- May provide focused support on typical tasks received in “bulk” where needed.
- Adopt change initiatives to improve workflow, enhance customer service and reduce operating costs.
- Coordinate flow of information back to customer in an organized/timely manner.
- Act as an advocate for the field offices by surfacing trends/sales barriers/service model breakdowns to area leadership.
- Meet individual goals with a continuous focus on team results.
- May perform other duties as assigned including special projects/initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent, relevant experience required.
- Propensity to quickly learn and understand marketplace dynamics relative to value of Brokers and challenges of plan administrators.
- Demonstrated critical thinking practices and strategic/forward thinker.
- Ability to examine and make decisions (often unique and individualized) with a great deal of discretion and draw own conclusions.
- Operate with urgency in a real-time service and multifaceted environment.
- Solid interpersonal and negotiation skills and acts with a sense of urgency in responding to internal and external customers.
- Solid communication skills including written/verbal, negotiation and persuasion skills.
- Interacts effectively at all levels of the organization on both a strategic and tactical level.
- Ability to work under pressure, managing a complex and high workload while simultaneously changing direction based on modification of business priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to adopt change to improve process, efficiency and service.
- Demonstrates consistency in accuracy, speed and quality of work.
- Supports extended hours of coverage, including working evening shifts as needed.