To help you make the most out of your new setup, we’ll talk you through the 10 best tips to ensure you’re getting the best results while working from home.
1. Do Something for Yourself before You Start Work It’s easy to roll out of bed and over to your laptop without even changing out of your PJs, but to help yourself stay motivated, it’s best to wake up and do something for yourself in the morning.
You could do a workout, for example, or catch up on the news or read a chapter of your favourite book before you get stuck into your work for the day.
2. Have a Designated Workspace Having a set working area can help you stay focused and more productive.
If you have a home office or desk, you’re already good to go. That said, if you don’t, you’re going to need to improvise. You could set up your workstation on the kitchen table or turn your dressing table into your new remote desk.
3. Make a List of Priorities Having a list of priorities will help stay focused and actually get work done. Instead of doing home chores, you will focus on ticking off work tasks from your list and will feel a sense of achievement once you’ve done so.
4. Have an Open Line of Communication with Your Colleagues To ensure an easy workflow, it’s necessary to have an open line of communication with both your manager and your colleagues. By checking in with your manager, you’ll update them on what you’re working on, and they will feel more at ease knowing that the same level of work is being produced as if you were in the office.
5. Don’t Try to Multitask Trying to get several tasks done at the same time is counterproductive – you might think that you’re able to watch your favourite Netflix series while getting through this month’s accounts, but don’t fool yourself! Focus on one task at a time, give yourself a time limit, and complete your task within that timeframe before you move onto the next thing.
6. Avoid Distractions It’s easy to get distracted in an environment that you usually associate with relaxation. To avoid procrastination, get rid of any and all distractions. Put your phone on aeroplane mode and hide your TV remote to eliminate the temptation of turning these devices on.
7. Don’t Snack for the Sake of It With the fridge being within arms reach, it’s easy to grab your favourite snacks throughout the day. However, unnecessary calories can leave you feeling slumped and less energetic.
If you are going to snack, opt for healthy choices like carrot sticks or fruit.
8. Take a Lunch Break Whether you’re in the office or at home, it’s easy to skip your lunch break and power through the day.
However, it’s even more important when you’re confined to the house that you actually do take this break. Thirty minutes away from your laptop will help you relax and refocus.
9. Offer Support to Others If you’ve mastered remote working, why not help your colleagues out? Check in with them daily and see if they need any assistance with tasks – just as you would do from the office.
In addition, make sure you’re available via chat, phone or any other communication methods during work hours.
10. Get Enough Sleep Since you don’t have to wake up early and get ready for a long commute, you might stay up later to binge-watch a series, but you’re doing yourself no favours! To be productive from home, you’ll still need plenty of shuteye! So, follow your normal bedtime routine and get the recommended amount of sleep.
Now that you’re well-equipped with the best ways to be productive from home, you’ll be able to prove that working remotely is actually beneficial for everyone. But if you’re looking for more tips and tricks, visit CareerAddict.com for more advice.